Surah Kafirun, also known as Al-Kafirun or the surah of the Disbelievers, is one of the final surahs in the Holy Quran. It contains 6 verses and has many benefits and virtues if you read this. This chapter addresses the disbelievers and shows how Muslims are completely free from the shirk they believe in.
Surah Kafirun Translation
- Say, “O disbelievers
- I do not worship what you worship.
- nor do you worship what I worship.
- I will never worship what you worship,
- nor will you ever worship what I worship.
- For you is your religion, and for me is my religion.”
Surah Kafirun Transliteration
- Qul yaaa-ayyuhal kaafiroon
- Laaa a’budu maa t’abudoon
- Wa laaa antum ‘aabidoona maaa a’bud
- Wa laaa ana ‘abidum maa ‘abattum
- Wa laaa antum ‘aabidoona maaa a’bud
- Lakum deenukum wa liya deen.
7 Benefits of Surah Kafirun
- Reciting this surah will keep you away from any kind of shirk
- Reciting Al-Kafirun once is equal to reciting one-quarter of the Quran
- The one who reads this surah will be forgiven from his sins
- Reading surah Kafirun along with surah Ikhlas, surah Falaq and surah Nas before travelling on a journey, you will be protected Insha’Allah and will reach your destination safely.
- If recited by hungry person, it helps in his finding sustenance.
- If a person dies after reciting this Surah it is as if he has died a martyr.
- Allah will forgive the sins of one who recites surah Ikhlas and surah Kafirun in salah
Brief Explanation of Al-Kafirun
As Islam spread and more people within Makkah were accepting Islam, the disbelievers would continue to come to Nabi SAW, hoping to find a compromise. They intended to diffuse the hostility and end the dispute.
Story of Surah Kafirun 1
According to Hadrat Abdullah bin Abbas, the Quraish proposed to the Holy Prophet; “We shall give you so much of wealth that you will become the richest man of Makkah. We shall give you whichever woman you like in marriage. We are prepared to follow and obey you as our leader, only on the condition that you will not speak ill of our gods. If you do not agree to this, we present another proposal which is to your as well as to our advantage.”
When the Holy Prophet asked what it was, they said that if he would worship their gods, Lat and Uzza, for a year, they would worship his God for the same amount of time. The Holy Prophet said: “Wait awhile; let me see what my Lord commands in this regard.”
Thereupon the revelation came down: Qul ya-ayyuhal- kafirun… and: Qul afa-ghair Allahi… (Az-Zumar: 64): “Say to them: ignorant people, do you bid me to worship others than Allah?” (Ibn Jarir, Ibn Abi Hatim, Tabarani). According to another tradition from Ibn Abbas, the Quraish said to the Holy Prophet: “O Muhammad, if you kiss our gods, the idols, we shall worship your God.” Thereupon, this Surah was sent down. (Abd bin Humaid).
Story of Surah Kafirun 2
Said bin Mina (the freed slave of Abul Bakhtari) has related that Walid bin Mughirah, As bin Wail, Aswad bin al-Muttalib and Umayyah bin Khalaf met the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) and said to him: “O Muhammad (upon whom be Allah’s peace and blessings), let us agree that we would worship your God and you would worship our gods, and we would make you a partner in all our works. If what you have brought was better than what we possess, we would be partners in it with you, and have our share in it, and if what we possess is better than what you have brought, you would be partner in it with us and have your share of it.” At this Allah sent down: Qul ya-ayyuhal-kafirun (Ibn Jarir, Ibn Abi Hatim, Ibn Hisham also has related this incident in the Sirah).
There were multiple occasions where the kafirun came to Prophet Muhammed SAW and tried to negotiate with him. So at this point, there was a need to give them a definite answer.
Hadith on Surah Al-Kafiroon
Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas, that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
“Idha Zulzilat is equal to half of the Qur’an, Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad is equal to a third of the Qur’an, and Yul Ya Ayyuhal-Kafirun is equal to a fourth of the Qur’an.”Tirmidhi
‘Recite Surah al Kafirun and then go to sleep after coming to its end, for it is a clearance from shirk’.Abu Dawood
Hadrat Khabbab RA says: The Holy Prophet SAW said to me:
“when you lie down in bed to sleep, recite Qul ya-ayyuhal kafirun, and this was the Holy Prophet’s own practice also; when he lay down to sleep, he recited this Surah.”Bazzar, Tabarani, Ibn Marduyah