Surah Al-Balad, which is translated as ‘The City’, is the 90th surah of the Holy Quran. It contains 20 verses and appears in the final juz. This surah explains how a person has been given the power and free will to choose whether to do right or wrong. It shows that for the one who chooses the path of good, for him will be a joyful ending. For the one who chooses the path of wrongdoings, he will have an evil ending.
Tafseer of Surah Al-Balad
This surah starts with honouring the Holy city of Makkah. Abdullah ibn Adiy RA narrates, when Nabi SAW was migrating from Makkah to Madinah, he addressed the city of Makkah by saying: “By Allh, you are dearer to Allah than the entire earth. If I was not forced out of this place, I would never have abandoned you.” [Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah]
Surah Balad moves on to explain how man goes through hardship and struggle during his life. But due to enduring these hardships and difficulties for the sake of Allah, Allah will reward him accordingly. Allah mentions a few gifts and blessings He has bestowed upon humans in the form of eyes, a tongue and lips.
The surah comes to a close mentioning some good deeds a person can do to make him from those who will have a good ending. It then mentions some bad actions and what they will lead to.
Surah Al-Balad Translation
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. I swear by this city (Makkah);
20. The Fire will be shut over them (i.e. they will be enveloped by the Fire without any opening or window or outlet.
Transliteration of Surah Balad
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Laaa uqsimu bihaazal balad
- Wa anta hillum bihaazal balad
- Wa waalidinw wa maa walad
- Laqad khalaqnal insaana fee kabad
- Ayahsabu al-lai yaqdira ‘alaihi ahad
- Yaqoolu ahlaktu maalal lubadaa
- Ayahsabu al lam yarahooo ahad
- Alam naj’al lahoo ‘aynayn
- Wa lisaananw wa shafatayn
- Wa hadaynaahun najdayn
- Falaq tahamal-‘aqabah
- Wa maaa adraaka mal’aqabah
- Fakku raqabah
- Aw it’aamun fee yawmin zee masghabah
- Yateeman zaa maqrabah
- Aw miskeenan zaa matrabah
- Summa kaana minal lazeena aamanoo wa tawaasaw bissabri wa tawaasaw bilmarhamah
- Ulaaa’ika As-haabul maimanah
- Wallazeena kafaroo bi aayaatinaa hum as-haabul Mash’amah
- Alaihim naarum mu’sadah