Ayatul Kursi is regarded as the most powerful verse in the entire Quran. It comes in the 3rd chapter in Surah Al-Baqarah and is the 255th verse.
Translation of Ayatul Kursi
Allah! There is no god worthy of worship except Him, the Ever-Living, All-Sustaining. Neither drowsiness nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who could possibly intercede with Him without His permission? He fully knows what is ahead of them and what is behind them, but no one can grasp any of His knowledge—except what He wills to reveal. His Seat encompasses the heavens and the earth, and the preservation of both does not tire Him. For He is the Most High, the Greatest.
Transliteration of Ayatul Kursi
Allahu laaa ilaaha illaa huwal haiyul qai-yoom; laa taakhuzuhoo sinatunw wa laa nawm; lahoo maa fissamaawaati wa maa fil ard; man zallazee yashfa’u indahooo illaa be iznih; ya’lamu maa baina aideehim wa maa khalfahum; wa laa yuheetoona beshai ‘immin ‘ilmihee illa be maa shaaaa; wasi’a kursiyyuhus samaa waati wal arda wa la ya’ooduho hifzuhumaa; wa huwal aliyyul ‘azeem
This beautiful verse emphasizes the greatness and might of Allah, portraying His power and His magnificence in all things.
Why is Ayatul Kursi important?
There are many reasons why ayatul kursi is so important:
- Shows how the power of Allah is spread throughout the heavens and the earth
- It protects from many evils (Read Manzil and its benefits here >>)
- Ayatul kursi acts as a cure for illnesses and diseases (Read this article on Mental health and how the Quran helps )
- It acts as a guardian for those in fear
- The most powerful verse tells us why we should place our trust in Allah
Where is Ayatul Kursi in Quran?
Ayatul kursi comes in the Madani Surah and the 2nd Surah of the Quran, Surah Al-Baqarah. It is the 255th verse and a verse which everyone is strongly advised to learn by memory and recite as often as they can.
Ayatul Kursi Benefits
- If you recite ayatul kursi when you leave your house then Allah will appoint 70,000 angels to protect you from all sides
- Having prayed it when you enter your will keep poverty away from you and Allah will keep providing for you abundantly
- If you recite it after carrying out wudu then it will raise you by 70 times in the ranks of Allah
- If you recite ayatul kursi before sleeping then an angel will be appointed to protect you for the whole nightA
- After any fardh (obligatory) salah, if its prayed then the only thing preventing you from entering paradise is death
- If ayatul kursi is prayed then this will help to increase his memory and strengthen it if it’s become weak
Hadith on Ayatul Kursi
1. Narrated Abu Huraira RA:
Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) ordered me to guard the Zakat revenue of Ramadan. Then somebody came to me and started stealing from the foodstuff. I caught him and said, “I will take you to Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ)!” Then Abu Huraira described the whole narration and said: That person said (to me), “(Please don’t take me to Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) and I will tell you a few words by which Allah will benefit you.) When you go to your bed, recite Ayat-al-Kursi, (2.255) for then there will be a guard from Allah who will protect you all night long, and Satan will not be able to come near you till dawn.” (When the Prophet (ﷺ) heard the story) he said (to me), “He (who came to you at night) told you the truth although he is a liar; and it was Satan.
“Do not turn your homes into graveyards, surely the Devil flees from the house in which Surat Al-Baqarah is read,” Muslim 1/539. The Devil is also driven out by the invocations for morning and evening. Also with those that are said before sleeping and upon waking up, those for entering and leaving the house, including those for entering and leaving the mosque, and by many other authentic invocations taught to us by the Prophet (ﷺ) such as the reading of ‘Ayatul-Kursi, (Al-Baqarah 2:255), and the last two ‘Ayat of Surat Al-Baqarah before going to sleep. Whoever says: “There is none worthy of worship but Allah alone, Who has no partner, His is the dominion and His is the praise, and he is Able to do all things,” one hundred times, it will be a protection for him from the Devil throughout the day.’
2. Narrated by Ayfa’ ibn Abdul Kila’i:
Ayfa’ told of a man who asked Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) which surah of the Qur’an was greatest and was told that it was “Say, He is Allah, One.” He asked which verse of the Qur’an was greatest and was told that it was the Throne Verse, “Allah, there is no god but He, the Living, the Eternal.” He asked Allah’s Prophet which verse he would like to bring good to him and his people and was told, “The end of Surat Al-Baqarah, for it is one of the treasures of Allah’s mercy from under His throne, which He gave to these people. And there is no good in this world and the next, which it does not include.”
[Al-Tirmidhi – Hadith 2169]
3. Narrated by Abu Huraira RA:
Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said, “If anyone recites in the morning Ha-Mim al-Mu’min to ‘to Him is the final goal, and the Throne Verse, he will be guarded by them till the evening. And if anyone recites them in the evening he will be guarded by them till the morning.”
[Al-Tirmidhi – Hadith 2144]