Surah Fatiha, also known as Al-Fatihah, is the 1st surah of the Holy Quran and consists of 7 verses. Meaning the Opening, It is a Makkan surah and was revealed before the Prophet’s (SAW) migration to Madinah. Al-Fatiha is recited in fardh (obligatory) and nafl (voluntary) prayers known as salah.
It is a very powerful surah and has many benefits which will be mentioned below.
Surah Fatiha Arabic Text
“Then read the Ummul-Qur’an (i.e. Surah al-Fatiha) and what ever Allah wishes”.Abu Dawud
Surah Fatiha Transliteration
- Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Alhamdu lillaahi Rabbil ‘aalameen
- Maaliki Yawmid-Deen
- Iyyaaka na’budu wa lyyaaka nasta’een
- Siraatal-lazheena an’amta ‘alaihim ghayril-maghdoobi ‘alaihim wa lad-daalleen
1. In the Name of Allah—the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful.
2. All praise is for Allah—Lord of all worlds,
3. the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,
4. Master of the Day of Judgment.
5. You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
6. Guide us along the Straight Path,
7. The path of those You have blessed—not those You are displeased with, or those who are astray.
|Number of Verses||7|
|Place of Revelation||Makkah|
Importance and meaning
We learn from the first verse that all praise needs to go to Allah who is the Creator and Giver of everything. He is the One who should be worshipped.
He is the Lord of the Worlds, ie He has authority and claim to everything that exists. He is someone who provides care and sustenance to all created beings.
One of the first things mentioned in the surah is the mercy – Rahmah, of the Lord. He could have picked any other attributes but He picked mercy. This is the first thing He wants us to know about Him. The mercy is upon all beings, both believers and non-believers, but the believers get a special type of mercy of His – Raheem.
Allah is the Owner of everything, including the Day of Judgement. This is the final day when everything will be dealt with fairly and everyone will be treated justly.
So we should worship Him only and ask for His help. What should we ask for? Guidance on the straight path. Guidance only comes from Allah and He gives this to only those He loves. The straight path is a continuous journey of good deeds so we ask continuously for guidance.
This path is the one that those whom Allah favored travelled on. Whoever obeys Allah and His messenger is among those favored such as the messengers, the sincerely truthful, the martyrs, and pious believing slaves.
We also ask to be protected from being among those that received the knowledge but rejected it and those who don’t know the truth and have gone astray.
Different names of Surah Fatiha
This blessed surah has many names which it can be called:
- Al-Fatiha (The Opening)
- Ash-Shifa (The Cure)
- Al-Hamd (The Praise)
- Salah (because it is a vital part of prayer)
- Umm-ul Kitaab (Mother of the Book)
- Ar-Ruqyah (The Remedy)
- Sab’ul-Mathani (The Seven Oft Repeated Verses)
- Umm al-Quran (Mother of the Quran)
- Asas ul-Quran (Foundation of the Quran)
Why is it called Umm al-Kitaab?
In the beginning of the Book of Tafsir, Al-Bukhari said in his Sahih;
“It is called Umm Al-Kitab, because the Qur’an starts with it and because the prayer is started by reciting it.” It was also said that it is called Umm Al-Kitab, because it contains the meanings of the entire Qur’an.
Ibn Jarir said, “The Arabs call every comprehensive matter that contains several specific areas an Umm. For instance, they call the skin that surrounds the brain, Umm Ar-Ra’s (the Mother of the head). They also call the flag that gathers the ranks of the army an Umm.” He also said, “Makkah was called Umm Al-Qura, (the Mother of the Villages) because it is the grandest and the leader of all villages. It was also said that the earth was made starting from Makkah.”
5 Special Qualities of Al-Fatiha
- Al-Fatiha is a cure for illnesses and diseases
- It is the Mother of the Holy Quran
- It is regarded as the greatest chapter in the Quran
- Surah Fatiha is a vital part of Salah
- It was sent down from paradise as Nur (light)
Benefits of Surah Fatiha
- Surah Fatiha is a very significant part of our daily prayers. If we don’t pray it, then our salah will not be valid.
- Al-Fatiha is also known as Ash-Shifa as mentioned above. Reciting this surah over an ill person or someone who has been afflicted, will Insha’Allah cure them.
- Reciting Surah Fatiha can also help to get rid of poverty.
- Surah Fatiha holds great rewards for its reader. No other surah in the Quran can match Al-Fatiha.
- This surah will help remove your fears and consistently reciting it will put you under the protection of Allah.
- Reading Surah Fatiha will help get your duas and supplications answered, and attracts the attention of Allah.
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said, “The Um (substance) of the Qur’an is the seven oft-repeated verses (Al- Mathaini) and is the Great Qur’an (i.e. Surat-al-Fatiha).Sahih Bukhari
This hadith has been reported on the authority of Abu Bishr with the same the same chain of transmitters (with these words):
That he recited Umm-ul-Qur’an (Sura Fatiha), and he collected his spittle and he applied that and the person became all right.Sahih Muslim
Abu Huraira RA narrates: Nabi SAW said,
“Allah, the Glorious and Exalted said, “I have divided the prayer between Myself and my servant equally and My servant shall be granted what he asked for.” Therefore, when the servant says,
‘All praises and thanks are due to Allah, the Lord of the worlds’, Allah says, ‘My servant has praised Me.’ When he says, ’The All-Merciful, the Most Merciful, ‘Allah says, ‘My servant has extolled Me.’ When he says, ‘Master of the Day of Judgment,’ Allah says, ‘My servant has glorified Me.’ When he says, ‘You Alone we worship and Your aid Alone do we seek,’ Allah says, ‘this is between Me and My servant and My servant shall have what he requested.’ When he says, ‘Guide us to the Straight Path, the Path of those whom You have favored, not [the path] of those who have earned [Your] anger, nor of those who have gone astray,’
Allah says, ‘this is for My servant and My servant shall have what he asked for.’”Sahih Muslim