Surah Jumuah is the 62nd surah of the Holy Quran and was revealed whilst Nabi SAW was in Madinah. This surah is split into two section, the first being verses 1-8, which were revealed in the year 7 after Hijra, around the time of the battle of Khaibar, and the second section from verse 9 till the end. Verses 9-11 were revealed on the first Friday in Madinah.
Importance of Surah Jumuah
This surah contains important lessons and advice which we should read about and act upon. An example of this is from the following hadith:
Alqamah (RA) narrated
That ‘Abdullah was asked whether the Prophet (SAW) used to deliver the sermon standing or sitting. He said: “Have you not read the Verse:
‘…and leave you (Muhammad) standing (while delivering the Friday sermon)?” (62:11)Sunan Ibn Majah Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1108
Theme and Subject matter of Surah Jumuah
The first segment was delivered at a time when all Jewish attempts to hinder Islam’s message during the previous six years had failed. First, in Madinah, at least three of their great tribes had done everything they could to sabotage the Holy Prophet’s mission, with one tribe being utterly killed and the other two being exiled.
Then, by intrigue and scheming, they gathered a large number of Arab tribes to march against Madinah, but they were all defeated at the Battle of the Trench. Following this, Khaiber became their base, with a large number of Jews exiled from Madinah seeking safety there as well.
This was also taken without much struggle at the time these ayats were revealed, and the Jews decided to live there as residents of the Muslims at their own request. The Jewish power in Arabia came to an end with this ultimate loss.
Then Wad-il-Qura, Fadak, Taima’, and Tabuk all submitted one after the other, to the point where all Arabian Jews were forced to submit to the same Islam that they had previously refused to allow. This was the time when Allah Almighty addressed them once more in this Surah, and it was most likely the Quran’s last and final address to them.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for videos on Quran and Duas
The second section was added to this Surah many years later since Allah had bestowed Friday on the Muslims as opposed to the Jews’ Sabbath, and Allah wanted to admonish the Muslims not to treat their Friday as the Jews had handled their Sabbath.
This part was sent down after a trade caravan arrived in Madinah right at the time of the Jumuah prayer, and the listeners, with the exception of 12 men, left the Prophet’s Mosque and hurried out to the caravan, despite the fact that the Holy Prophet (upon whom be Allah’s peace) was delivering the Sermon at the time.
Following this, it was decreed that all trade, business, and other activities be prohibited until the call for Friday Prayer was sounded. The believers should therefore put a halt to all transactions and devote their time to Allah’s remembrance. When the Prayer is finished, they have the right to disperse around the land and continue their daily activities.
Because of the commands it provides concerning the congregational worship on Friday, this section could be made into its own Surah, or it could be included in another Surah, but it has been inserted here specifically in the verses in which the Jews are warned of the reasons of their awful end.
[Adapted from Quran.com]
Transliteration of Surah Jumuah
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Yusabbihu lilaahi maa fis samaawaati wa maa fil ardil Malikil Quddoosil ‘Azeezil Hakeem
- Huwal lazhee ba’atha fil ummiyyeena Rasoolam min hum yatloo ‘alaihim aayaatihee wa yuzakkeehim wa yu’allimuhumul Kitaaba wal Hikmah wa in kaanoo min qablu lafee dhalaalim mubeen
- Wa aakhareena minhum lammaa yalhaqoo bihim wa huwal ‘azeezul hakeem
- Zhaalika fadhlul laahi yu’teehi may-yashaaa; wallaahu zhul fadhlil ‘azheem
- Mathalul lazheena hum milut tawraata thumma lam yahmiloohaa kamathalil himaari yah milu asfaaraa; bi’sa mathalul qawmil lazeena kaazhaboo bi aayaatil laah; wallaahu laa yahdil qawm azhaalimeen
- Qul yaaa ayyuhal lazheena haadoo in za’amtum annakum awliyaaa’u lilaahi min doonin naasi fatamannawul mawta in kuntum saadiqeen
- Wa laa yatamannaw nahooo abadam bimaa qaddamat aydeehim; wallaahu ‘aleemum biz haalimeen
- Qul innal mawtal lazhee tafirroona minhu fa innahoo mulaaqeekumthsumma turaddoona ilaa ‘Aalimil Ghaibi wash shahaadati fa yunabbi’ukum bimaa kuntum ta’maloon
- Yaaa ayyuhal lazheena aamanoo izhaa noodiya lis-Salaati miy yawmil Jumu’ati fas’aw ilaa zhikril laahi wa zharul bai’; zhaalikum khayrul lakum in kuntum ta’lamoon
- Fa-izhaa qudiyatis Salaatu fantashiroo fil ardi wabtaghoo min fadhlil laahi wazhkurul laaha katheeral la’allakum tuflihoon
- Wa izhaa ra’aw tijaaratan aw lahwanin fadhooo ilaihaa wa tarakooka qaa’imaa; qul maa ‘indal laahi khairum minal lahwi wa minat tijaarah; wallaahu khayrur raaziqeen
Transliteration of Surah Jumuah
62:1 Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth is exalting Allah, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
62:2 It is He who has sent among the unlettered [Arabs] a Messenger from themselves reciting to them His verses and purifying them and teaching them the Book [i.e. the Qur’ān] and wisdom [i.e. the sunnah] – although they were before in clear error.
62:3 And [to] others of them who have not yet joined them. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
62:4 That is the bounty of Allah, which He gives to whom He wills, and Allah is the possessor of great bounty.
62:5 The example of those who were entrusted with the Torah and then did not take it on is like that of a donkey who carries volumes [of books]. Wretched is the example of the people who deny the signs of Allah. And Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people.
62:6 Say, “O you who are Jews, if you claim that you are allies of Allah, excluding the [other] people, then wish for death, if you should be truthful.”
62:7 But they will not wish for it, ever, because of what their hands have put forth. And Allah is Knowing of the wrongdoers.
62:8 Say, “Indeed, the death from which you flee – indeed, it will meet you. Then you will be returned to the Knower of the unseen and the witnessed, and He will inform you about what you used to do.”
62:9 O you who have believed, when [the adhān] is called for the prayer on the day of Jumuʿah [Friday], then proceed to the remembrance of Allah and leave trade. That is better for you, if you only knew.
62:10 And when the prayer has been concluded, disperse within the land and seek from the bounty of Allah, and remember Allah often that you may succeed.
62:11 But [on one occasion] when they saw a transaction or a diversion, [O Muhammad], they rushed to it and left you standing. Say, “What is with Allah is better than diversion and than a transaction, and Allah is the best of providers.”
[Taken from Saheeh International]